Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Why I Made The Sandbox

Why indeed, why indeed...

Hell I know why, my teacher made me. This was an assignment. To blog three times a week, every week, producing three posts totaling 1200 words in each week. Sounded like A LOT. It was a lot, it is a lot. But its grown on me. Its gotten to be a little more than a chore now, sometimes I find myself anxious to write down the things that come to mind on my blog. I got on to some topics that I like and really like to discuss and debate, so I kind of opened the door for myself and made it easier to blog. While other students in my class were being mercilessly pounded by the periodic, unannounced blog checks, I found myself passing through these easily, I think at some point I was actually a little ahead of the game, a few posts ahead of the weekly quota.

But I still don't know what I actually think about blogging itself. At times it seems really, really superfluous and unneeded, just people retelling things that I can find anywhere, and often times their opinions just flat out don't matter. Some blogs are written by educated people it appears, who have a strong passion for their subject, and can drop multi- page posts every hour easily; they've turned blogging into an art. Other blogs, typically the ones written by stay at home parents, and other people with way too much time on their hands, consist of pictures taken while on vacation, and lengthy explanations of why

But the main issue I see is simple. Blogging, the actual writing and maintenance of a blog is quite easy, as in, you don't need to take a class on how to do it. You just write, write about whatever your topic is. All it takes to hold an audience to a blog is a good subject matter, and good writing skills. Neither of those need to be taught in a blogging class, they each have their own place where they are taught. I don't know if I'm relaying what I'm trying to say well enough here... Here's the situation: BLOGGING itself is almost too self- explanatory. You pick something to write about, sign up to a site like this, and you write about it. There isn't any magic. If it sounds easy, that's because it really is. The main problem that I noticed with my blog, and other peoples' blogs, was the lack of issues to discuss. The problem wasn't found with blogging itself.

But blogging is fun, sometimes you have a personal experience that you want to just get out there, for the public to see, and blogging is a great way to do it. Just don't expect anything from me for a LOOOOOOOOOONG time. I was told if I write about why I write, I don't have to write anymore. ;)

No comments: