Wednesday, December 3, 2008

Blackberry Storm

Hey, I just got this phone yesterday, and I thought I should write a review over it, considering I have lots of mixed feelings about this phone, and many people are anxious to hear about this new gadget.

My first impressions on this phone, way back when, when I saw the ad listed on the side of a web page, my first reactions were that this would be another one of the seemingly endless iPhone competitors that would never make it in today's market. I soon started noticing more and more ads, and realized this was serious business and that Verizon was giving this phone a little more attention than what it gave to other phones. This was all way before release mind you. So I started researching this phone, trying to find any people who had gotten their hands on this phone before it was released and figure out what they had to say about it.

Most of the testers whose articles I read, all had the same problems with the phone. Problems, that to my dismay, were still around when I purchased this phone, making me wonder why they even released phones early to get tested if all of the issues that were complained about were still evident... The biggest issue that testers complained about, was the slow response time of this phone. Something that has been making me want to snap this phone in half at times. Compared to the iPhone, I will try to not compare this to the iPhone as much as I can... but I must in this situation, anyway... compared to the iPhone, which will adjust the screen almost instantaneously when you tilt it, its about five times as slow. Loading times are also very painful, it takes about three minutes just to start the phone if you have it off. Another issue that I found with this phone, quite similar to the other deficiency, was just the lack of smoothness that's found in certain phones that I do not wish to name... When scrolling down the main menu, all of the little boxes of applications take their dandy little time until they finally fly off of the screen. I remember an incident that occurred to me almost half an hour after I first opened my phone, I was trying to set a background image, I can't stand looking at that red check that Verizon uses as their logo, and the phone just froze. I mean I couldn't do anything whatsoever to fix it, so I just wrenched the battery out of the back and just turned it on again. Now, I don't think these are problems that can be considered any less than major, considering it was doing this right off the bat.

Now, after saying all of these nasty things, you might think that I totally hate this phone, that's untrue. I actually really like it, I appreciate its sleekness, its extremely professional look, I actually like the way it looks more than the iPho... yeah you get the picture. I like how it comes with many features that one would consider extraneous, including an external eight gigabyte memory stick, built in GPS, built in Instant Messenger, and lots of other perks that I myself haven't even discovered yet. Not to mention the extremely fast internet that you can access virtually anywhere, including Kennedy High School... I will admit, Verizon has an extremely sophisticated broadband network...

Hopefully, as time goes on, if I still have this phone, and it hasn't broken, been stolen, lost, etc., I'd like to keep everyone updated on anymore news that I can find out about this phone.

No comments: