Thursday, April 2, 2009

The Last Nail in the Coffin

In my previous post, I published a video of arguably the second worst song of all time, "Stanky Leg" by the GS Boys. Now, I don't know WHO the GS Boys even are, I don't know what "stanky" means, and I don't know why they have ATVs in the gym in their music video. All I know is when I heard this song for the first time, I had to stop before my blood pressure skyrocketed to obscenely unhealthy levels. Now that I can actually focus on the monitor I can get back to blogging about how much I hate this song.

The fact of the matter is, its not just this song. Rap these days is, in my opinion, a perfect fit to all of the negative stereotypes that people who don't like rap claim rap has. What I'm trying to say is today's rap is all about drugs, getting money, getting loose women at bars, and how big their car's rims and houses are. First of all, they all have the same things. So when eleven different rappers all talk about their watches, private jets, and seven course meals, it sounds they're all living in the same house together. Second of all, I wonder how people who are this one- sided and narrow minded actually manage to make good use of all their money and don't end up broke within months. Some do actually. But when all they spend their money on is one hundred grand necklaces and multiple walk in closets filled with shoes, its kind of hard to see them hanging on to their small fortune for a long time.

I don't know what brought about this abrupt change in Hip Hop music. I don't know what album it was that sparked this shift, or what song or whatever, but there was a time when these problems didn't exist. There was a time when rap consisted of real life stories and narratives, and songs with topics that were actually relevant to the time. Every rapper did it his or her own different way. They each had their own style, which is something today's artists are entirely lacking. Everything about a new album was exciting. From the back cover art to the intros and outros, everything was original. And when new artists came out, it took a while for them to get noticed, and they weren't appreciated until they released a song that people actually liked, unlike now where as long as a rapper who's already famous claims you're a good rapper, it automatically becomes fact.

That's another problem with rappers these days, well actually this is a problem with the entire community, the artists and the fans. It seems as if whenever a rapper makes any sort of claim, AUTOMATICALLY, without any second thoughts or nothing, the claim is taken as a fact. Some random Lil Wayne fan claimed that Wayne had an IQ of 140. And just like that, everyone believes that Lil Wayne has an IQ of 140. Its not worth my time trying to argue against this claim, but the point is, things like this happen all the time.

I consider myself a pretty well educated individual. Rappers back in the day catered to my sort of listeners. As time progresses, I feel as if the minimum level of intelligence required to understand what's going on in the song keeps going down and down. Until eventually its going to come to a point where the rappers themselves are going to feel ashamed of some of the lyrics they've created.

Every time a rap arist looks like he might be able to turn it around, he gets shot down and eventually forgotten. He gets disgusted as he realizes that if you aren't screaming gibberish and moving to some dry rehash of some odd dance move that may be hard to actually do, but still looks terrible, you aren't ever going to be appreciated or listened to. Its gotten to the point where I'm almost embarrassed to tell people that I like listening to rap. Either some drastic changes have to happen very, very soon, or every modern day rap artist is going to be charged with corruption of a minor's mind or whatever, because listening to songs like "Crank Dat" must have a negative effect on a human's mind.

No comments: