Thursday, April 2, 2009

SSSHHHH.... Don't Awaken the Beast

I'm taking a break from my short lived miniseries, because I feel the need to get back in the groove of discussing music, and right now seems like an excellent time to do that.

The beast I was talking about is the "Three Headed Monster", a trio of rappers, 50 Cent, Eminem, and Dr. Dre. These three powerhouses are set to release a TON of work this year. Debuting with Dr. Dre's long awaited album, Detox. Since sometime in 2004, Dre has been promoting this title, every now and then dropping a single or something, but for the most part its on the down low. To many a veteran rap follower, Detox has been patiently waited for for years now, and its the final hope for Hip Hop these days. With the amount of buzz and promotions Dre has been making for this album, if it has just one bad song on it, people will be pretty pissed off.

Along with working on this mysterious album, Dre has been producing a handful of other albums, including Eminem's Relapse, and Relapse 2. Many people thought Eminem was already retired, but he is far from done. With the highly successful single "Crack A Bottle," people are starting to remember the old Eminem that every loved and couldn't get enough of back in the day. Initially, he was set to release only one album, Relapse, but he realized he had too much work for one album and quite frankly, to this date Eminem hasn't had a single bad album, so I'm quite confident that both of these will be hits.

The third "head" in this trio, 50 Cent, is also set to release a couple of albums this year, both produced by Dre, titled Before I Self Destruct, and another one, which hasn't been titled yet. He's dropped a couple of singles for BISD, including "Get Up", and "I Get it in", both hits on the billboard charts. This album was supposed to be his last with the current record label he's on, but, just like Eminem, he decided to drop another one because of the amount of work he had.

I'm really anxious for this influx of kick ass music. FINALLY, FINALLY, a little break from the T- Pain, T- Wayne, Souljia Boy sh*t that makes me sick to my stomach whenever I have the displeasure of hearing it in my ears. I can't stress enough the magnitude of rap that's coming out this year, I honestly think Hip Hop is not dead yet, its almost dead, actually, it DID die, but only for a second until it was quickly shocked back to life with a few nice artists around these days, including Busta Rhymes, The Game, and Kanye West. But ever since around 2004-5, Hip Hop has been heading downhill too fast to reel it back. With the latest garbage single hitting the streets, "Stankly Legg," I hope that 50, Em, and Dre can find a way to save Hip Hop before it humiliates itself even further.


Yeah, Hip Hop is f*cking dead.

No comments: